Bike Ride to Ireland

Graham's Little Bike Ride N0.3 - Malin

Friday, September 08, 2006

Day Ten

Tralee tonight, camping in a rather big and empty camp site on the outskirts of the town. I left Inchgeelagh, cycled past Dermot's old house, up over the mountains and got completely lost. The map I had had just a birds nest of squiggles and the signs were in Gaelic . I did not see anyone or any cars until I had climbed to the top of the second mountain. I stopped a lorry driver but he was lost as well and when I said that I had just cycled from Inchgeelagh he said that was where he was going. So I put him on the right road. After another ten minutes a car came past which I flagged down, the driver said that the way to Killarney was back down the hill I had just climbed!!!

After Killarney there was another hill climb followed by the best downhill on this journey - 10kms in no time. The rest of the journey was on a pleasent side road that led into Tralee. I am travelling North now and the strong wind that has been slowing me down pushed me along today.
I shopped at a huge Tescos for my eveing meal, cooked chicken, potatoes and a giant sausage thing. It kept warm until I got back to the tent. Met some guy from Belfast who I nearly upset by suggesting he was from Scotland. That's another thing I should not attempt to do after a long day in the saddle - try guessing where people come from by their accents. Mind you I upset the Dutch cyclists the other day by suggesting they were German - and that was in the morning.

Everyone is really friendly towards travelling cyclists here, workman, drivers, old ladies (who are probably younger than me) and shop keepers.

94km today, not sure where to tomorrow. I will go and collect my washing from the tumble dryer and look at the map in bed.

Night, Night

Graham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home