Day Nineteen
The hostel last night was a terrible, I won't waist time saying what was wrong with it instead I will tell you how wonderful tonight's hostel is. On the edge of the sea at Malin Head it is tidy, spotless, everything is new and when you arive you get a pot of tea and a 20 minute guided tour and explanation of all the atractions in Malin. There are only a few other people staying here and the view is amazing - out across a wide bay with Atlantic rollers breaking over the rocks and beach and beyond that the misty hills of Malin Head and Inishowen. I have just finished my evening meal and and am sitting in the lounge looking out over the last of the the glow in the evening sky.
It was a struggle to get here. The ride to Derry was fine, through very English looking countryside. But the towns are very un-English and not so gentle looking as further south in Ireland. People are friendly enough but every town seems to have a set of roaming boy racers, cruising around and looking threatening.
Derry was like any other city except for the famous walls. It had some pretty impressive murials on the sides of houses depicting the troubles. The afternoon ride was a struggle, I knew it was going to be a long day and it turned out to be 10 km further than I had worked out from the map and the last bit was hilly but it was all worth it. I have decided to stay here two nights before cycling to Belfast to meet Broth.
For some reason, which I think is to do with mobile networks, I have not been able to send pictures to the blog today, so I am saving them up and will no doubt send them sometime.
114 kms today.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home