Day Fifteen
A great ride today. I spent ages trying to decide whether to go along the most direct route to Westport or to take a longer way along the Inagh Valley. Despite the poor weather, it was very windy with lots of showers, I took the pretty route. It was worth it because even though the weather was poor it was a spectacular road up through the mountains and along side the lake with waterfalls full from the overnight rain tumbling down every few metres along the road. I stopped at a church on top of a pass which had the command 'STOP AND PRAY'. I partly obeyed and stopped but I decided to have some bread and cheese rather than a quick old pray. Retribution was swift as the heavens opened and released a biblical deluge. I arrived at the little village of Linane which sits along the side of a very long fjord called Killary Harbour, very wet but still hungry. So I went into a cafe which did a pretty good hamburger and chips. I felt cold afterwards so got a load of warm gear on which
was a sure way to niggal the Gods because the sun came out and I had to take it all off and pack it a way.
Changing my leggings I could not help notice that all this cycling has turned my calf muscles into Popeye the Sailor proportions. I reckon that when I stop cycling all the skin will go floppy and cover my feet.
There are two hostels in Westport and after signing into the first one I found, I asked where I could put my bike. 'Oh, just leave outside, we haven't had any stolen yet.' I decided that the risk was too great as the hostel was in the centre of a busy town and leaving the bike outside would be a sure invitation for the first bolt-cutter carrying thief to have it away. I could imagine the very friendly woman saying over breakfast, 'Well yours was the first bike ever too to be stolen from here!' Which would no doubt cheer me up no end. So, I said I would not stay in that case, She directed me to another hostel in a secluded part of town which is where I am now. It is so quiet here that you could hear the clank of a pair of bolt-cutters, even if matey did find his way around to the shed at the back of the hostel.It is an old monastry and quite a pleasant building with big rooms and run by a couple of American women.
Looking at the map I think that I will probably be in Belfast in 7 or 8 more days.
Probably make it to Sligo Town tomorrow, a name which has a lovely Irish ring to it.
80 kms today.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home